A Push to Talk Feature?

I think incorporating a push to talk feature would be amazing. Jami seems like a platform that would possibly offer privacy to Zello users who have concerns over privacy. To me it seems the foundation is kind of in place already. Is this something that I could try and develop myself as an add-on?

3 Likes

Hello. It is imperative to add the ability to activate the Ptt function and automatically play voice messages when they are received; it is also necessary to provide for this function a more convenient button on the smartphone screen. Ptt will allow work on low-speed Internet networks, as well as through TOR networks or similar, it is also necessary to add low-speed voice codecs (Melpe1200 (2400), Codec2, Silk), and make an automatic Jitter buffer for voice communication via TOR (Orbot), this is significant will increase the privacy of the application as a whole. Thank you.

This feature will be added in the future.
See: The Jami conferencing system

Now that this is done, we plan on improving the audio managing systems with features such as push to talk.

2 Likes

Is there something new? We really would like to have this feature.

I think the development of the Android version of Jami is not high priority at the moment?

Anyway - Here’s the feature request:

I think, we should prioritize more on the mobile app to have this feature. This would bring more users who use similar apps like zello and mumble and would be the only one that is distribution with push to talk feature.
Which maybe in turn should also lead to more donors.

Hello @no-M @ProGen @TonyStone

UPDATE:
There’s no plan to add this feature on Android so far.
Most Androids don’t have a keyboard, and most time we stay on the app while using it.
It’s not so much a multi-app so push to talk is less useful.
However, push to talk is available on the desktop version:
https://docs.jami.net/en_US/user/all-features-by-client.html#all-features-by-client

Loïc,
Jami Community Manager.