Troubleshooting Jami setup in LAN

I am trying to setup Jami in the local network of my office with the intent to minimize face to face interactions during the pandemic. So far, I have it working properly between two windows 10 systems ( let us call them A & B) using the default settings with local peer discovery enabled, UPnP and TURN disabled.

Now, I am unable to add more systems to it. On another machine in the same LAN (Machine C), I created a user but it appears with a yellow dot and will not recognize the ID of the systems that are working fine. I tried the following things:

1. Exception for Jami.exe added in firewall. Tested with firewall disabled too.
  2. Changed the bootstrap value on all machines to the local IP of Machine A.
  3. Creating two accounts on machine C lets the local communication happen but no communication to machine A or B is still possible.

Now, what else can I try?

PS: If it is of any consequence, machine C is connected on a different network switch from machine A & B, but they are definitely all on the same local network, are able to ping and share files.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Cheers!

In the settings, “local peer discovery” should do the job

I have already done that and I mentioned it in my post too.

Is there any setting in Windows that enables/disables discovery of the machine in a network?

Not sure if it is the problem but can the switch discover Neighbor?
I know in WiFi networks you can disable it so device a can not talk with other device in the network.
Not sure if Jami falls on that setting and if it is enabled on your second switch.
Maybe try ping from machine C to A or B to see that part is working

That is what is perplexing. Pings are working just fine across all systems in the network. Only thing I am noticing is that in default network of windows as seen in the file explorer, not all machines in the LAN are listed. Maybe there is a setting to make a machine visible in the network. I will try and find that today.

I got frustrated enough to try and setup my own SIP server. I had some experience with openfire (in conjugation with Jitsi) in the past, but that is just XMPP (and I could not set it up in LAN only mode) and not SIP, so it did not work. I tried OfficeSIP and Mizu, but both did not work in default settings and I am not experienced enough to tweak them.

I might try setting up my own TURN server if needed but I am not sure if it works in LAN only mode.

Meanwhile, any other suggestions are welcome since I am running out of things to try.

Cheers!

No success so far! I noticed that some machines on my network are in ‘Public’ network configuration while others are in ‘Private’. I am aware that the Private configuration enables discovery of devices on the network so I converted the configuration to ‘Private’ on all devices (5 of them) I am testing upon. I did so using the powershell command:
Set-NetConnectionProfile -Name “NetworkName” -NetworkCategory Private
Get-NetConnectionProfile (can be used to test the configuration)

This ensures that all the devices are listed in ‘My Computers>Network’ section and ping works just fine all around. But, this too has not had any positive effect in my Jami journey. As of now, communication is happening only between two systems despite having the same configuration on all machines. Surprisingly, this pair of machines was not able to talk to each other before(through Jami) today’s change.

I also read up about UPnP and fiddled around with it in the hope that it might get things going. I had UPnP turned off so far but turning it on also has had no effect. I do not have access to router/switch configuration so I cannot confirm if UPnP is enabled on the switch.

Is there anyway I can look under the hood in windows Jami setup, see log files, share it with you guys to understand what is going on? Anything else I can try?

Please help me.

So, i had an issue trying to do similar over a wireless network. The router did not have internet connection and i disconnected from all internet connections. I deleted all the jami accounts and setup new ones without an account name or a username (skip the step). Turned on allow unknown callers (i could turn it off afterwards). Turned on DHT local devices. Turned off upnp and Turn. I also created a rendezvous room but never accessed it. I then searched for the other devices using the alphanumeric string. I was able to call and that was it.

I have no idea which step was the solution , although had tried everything else but the delete account before, it now works on a wireless network without internet connection.

I tried this today. Did not help in my case. I had suspected that some machines on my LAN had their networks marked as “private” while some were “Public”. I converted them all to “Private” but with same result.

Since these machines are in different rooms of the building, they are connected through different switches and as such show different network names viz. “Network 2”. Should I try making them the same?

Between all of this, I also tried out Tox, which is supposed to work on the same technological principle (right?). I attempted it using the qTox client across two systems that aren’t communicating through Jami, and guess what, it happily communicates using qTox. But, I don’t quite like the qTox interface and the steps to create video-conferences seem complicated enough that it will not get the popular vote.

What else can I try? In another thread, I read that one can log the Jami actions (Bug report guide · Wiki · savoirfairelinux / jami-project · GitLab). What exactly should I look for in those logs?

I do not want to abandon this, please help me!

The local peer discovery uses the same system as printers (broadcast packets) so if your network supports it, it should work. (it uses administratively scoped multicast address 239.192.0.1 (ffx8::/16 239.192.0.0/14))

If you can ping one device from one another, you can also modify the bootstrap to change it to the other device, as any Jami client as a DHT node

How can I go about doing that? Is there any where I can read about it for implementing it for windows? Edit: I got it, you meant entering the local IP of one of the nodes in the Jami account settings of all the machines. I did that but unfortunately it still does not work across rooms and now I wonder if something else is wrong (some window network settings maybe?) with some of the devices.

I am currently testing on three devices in two rooms(Room X has machine A & B, room Y has C). A & B are able to talk with each other with or without the local bootstrap setting while C is not. Another curious thing I noticed is that on the C machine, the “Link Another Device” option is failing. This has led me to suspect some problem with network setting. But then, some time ago, I had C talking to D which was in the same room Y. I know I am rambling but it is utterly frustrating and I want to get to the bottom of this? Is it the switches? But then why would tox work?

I am aware that printer discovery works only on private networks. Since some of my devices were configured to identify same network as ‘Public’ and since converting them to private did not work out of the box, I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Jami. But I noticed that upon reinstall, the previous users and settings are automatically loaded. Which means, Jami uninstall did not clean all the related files. How can I go about doing a fresh reinstall in that so that everything works like it is the first time.

Thanks!

Edit2: Looks like machine C indeed has some windows 10 issues. I have tried setting the network type to private again and again through the powershell command ‘Set-NetConnectionProfile -Name “NetworkName” -NetworkCategory Private’ but it gets reverted to ‘Public’ again and again. The issue has been taken up with microsoft time and again but with no clear resolution.
Link1, Link 2

I will next try exploring if this issue exists on other machines in my LAN. By the way, the network printer discovery and pings work just fine on this machine.