Platform versions

Yes it works!!
Thank you enormously @Firenze and @bandali !
H.

1 Like

Hi folks!

Just wanted to let everyone know that as of recently, in addition to providing Jami packages for current/older stable versions of Debian, we now also provide packages for Debian Testing and Debian Unstable under the Debian section of the download page.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Amazing job :slight_smile:
But am I correct that the arm64 builds are missing for debian testing?

Thank you :slight_smile:
Yes indeed. Actually, we currently only provide builds for x86 32- and 64-bits on dl.jami.net. So for now for arm64 and other arches youā€™d have to refer to the Jami package from your distributionā€™s repositories (which may be out of date) or build Jami from source.

Thank you for your quick reply.
Building Jami on Mobian appears to be problematic, so I will have to be patient :slight_smile:

Cheers :slight_smile: I will be resuming my work on the Jami package in Debianā€™s repositories soon, which may or may not indirectly help the situation for Mobian. Regardless, if you do have a specific bug report about issues building Jami on arm64 Iā€™d appreciate it if you could let me know, so I could try and have a look some time.

Thanks!

1 Like

It has been a while, but I am reattempting to build Jami on the Pinephone (mobian bookworm). The other options (arm64 package for debian and the snap package) provide me with a very old version of jami-gtk without swarm.

So I am trying to build the qt-client because I want to use swarm of course.
The only problem I encounter so far is the qt version of mobian, which is lagging behind (5.17 vs 6.2).
So I guess I have to build Qt6.2 firstā€¦

Indeed. Note that the Taranis release (its tarball is https://dl.jami.net/release/tarballs/jami_20211223.2.37be4c3.tar.gz) was still based on Qt 5, so you can build that with Qt 5 and use it for a while, but sooner or later youā€™d indeed want to get Qt 6 since the Qt 6 migration patches have already partially been merged into Jami and future releases will use Qt 6.

Thanks, I will use this previous version for a while :slight_smile:
To be honest, building al this stuff is still quite complicated for me.

Cheers :slight_smile: and I can certainly understand and relate to that; Jami is a complex piece of software and not the easiest to build.

For what itā€™s worth, to give an update, my patch for updating Jami to latest version at least in Debianā€™s repos ā€“ unstable, to be specific ā€“ has been pending review for a while: https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-voip-team/ring/-/merge_requests/7. Itā€™s still jami-gnome and not jami-qt, but new versions of jami-gnome do have some support for swarms. So that might be promising for getting new Jami with support for swarms on Debian (unstable) based distros. And I will start work on preparing patches for Debian for packaging jami-qt in the near future as well.

Thank you, that sounds great!
I tried different builds, and finally one worked! A brief summary:

First attempt; Cloning https://git.jami.net/savoirfairelinux/jami-project and trying to build qt version. Did not work because of the Qt version of my OS.

Second attempt; Installing Snap. It works (gtk version), but the version lags behind a lot. And I want to use swarm of course.

Third attempt; Using a tarball from https://dl.jami.net/release/tarballs/?C=M;O=D and trying to build the Qt version. Building was successful, and the daemon also started. But jami-qt itself only showed a white screen. Perhaps a problem with Qt again on mobian. I have had this in the past with other Qt programs. So that remains a mystery I still have to solve :stuck_out_tongue:

Fourth attempt; Using a tarball (most recent one) to build a jami-gnome version. This one works fine (also with swarm). There is a small bug where I canĀ“t get the program ā€œin focusā€, so I canĀ“t type anything in the chat. Most of the times that this happens it can be solved using ā€œtabā€. So it is good enough to use :slight_smile: