Battery consumption - server configuration?

Greetings.
I’ve been looking for a few months for a real free and secure messaging solution (like many of us here I guess).

Before I start installing an app to my friends and family I must find a right solution so they don’t think I’m insecure with apps, so I have only one chance and everyone here for sure understands this.

I have little testing Jami, in fact the simple installation on linux (apt-get install jami) does not work, then I followed the instructions on the Jami website and now it does work.

On android I installed from F-Droid, but the application was receiving but not sending, so I removed it and installed the application from the playstore, here it worked.

Questions:

1. i am no expert, but as i understand any P2P messaging app (jami, tox, etc) consumes more power than typical apps like telegram, is this correct?

2. Is it true that the more contacts we have in Jami, the higher the battery consumption?

3. As I understand Jami must use servers for relaying and also something to be able to pass the firewall (I ignore the name, sorry) and so on, these servers can be installed by oneself?

4. I see that it can be installed on a JAMS server for communication via a browser, what is not clear to me is:
- Does it work with jami applications?
- Does it improve the service and battery consumption?
- A standard user not connected to this server, can find the user and connect with the user that is on this server?

Basically the standard users could use an application that allows them to be connected to a public server, like telegram, but it would be great if the user with some technical knowledge could install their own server, something like the social network mastodon, as if telegram allowed to have our own server and communicate with others (decentralized), but of course.

I guess the only one with this particularity is Element (formerly Riot).

It remains for me to study about XMPP to see if it is an instant messaging option like Jami or telegram.

In the end we always look for the same thing, but each application has something that the other doesn’t have:

• Security.
  • Privacy
  • Encryption
  • opensource
  • Option to have your own server
  • Decentralized
  • Video calls
  • Voice calls
  • Messaging
  • Sending files of any size
  • Works on all operating systems

I think many of us would not mind paying for something that works like this, and I understand that at a technical and legal level it is almost impossible.

Anyway, Jami is an interesting option with a strong philosophy and I am glad to be able to try it, I hope it is what frees us from other applications.

1 Like