Dev Update #0 - Series of updates on Jami's development from its developers

Hello everyone, this is the first of a series of regular updates on the development of Jami.

Current goals

Our major goal for the current release cycle is to improve stability and reliability, as well as continuing to polish the user experience.

Testing

New automated UI tests for the Qt and Android apps are on the way. On the long term, this should help us to improve the stability and prevent regressions as we add more features.

UI

For the Jami Qt, Android and iOS apps, we are currently working on:

• Completing the implementation of the new conversation UI.
  • Implementing the new conversation API (swarm history), which should yield better performance and a more consistent conversation experience across platforms. This change means more conversation management logic is handled by the daemon instead of being duplicated in the apps.
  • Other bug fixes and UX improvements.

Core

In the Jami daemon, multiple thread safety issues have been fixed and profile and conversation data synchronization has been improved.

Next steps

For the next release, we are planning to change the way users associate new devices with their Jami Account: instead of using the DHT to exchange an encrypted archive, devices will use a peer-to-peer authenticated TLS connection to exchange the data.

3 Likes

Very happy to read this update. Jami shows a lot of promise but has quite a ways to go before it is reliable enough for regular service. I’m currently using Tox which is more or less the gold standard in this space although the project leaves a lot to be desired and has been long since abandoned. I’d love it if Jami became all it could be! I am on Ubuntu and have not seen any snap updates since I started using Jami some time ago. I also have an Android tablet and I don’t believe Jami has been updated there either. Perhaps the dev team could post a release schedule and notifications when a new release has been pushed out. Others may be fine with daily releases but I try to only install releases that are well tested and stable. Thanks for this update!

1 Like

TRIfA has NOT been abandoned:

1 Like