FDroid Jami version is 3 months old. Is there an issue?

The Google Play versions was released in November 5, 2020
Does anyone know the average delay between the Google Play release of Jami and the FOSS/FDroid version of Jami might possible be? Currently the FDroid version is 3 months old.

The length of time between those can vary greatly, the main reason being that F-Droid builds every application from source on their server(s) themselves.

Currently there seems to be an issue on the F-Droid side holding things back:

2 Likes

@bandali That has to make for an “interesting” process. Would making your own Jami repository make a difference at all?
Here is an example from the NewPipe repository
https://newpipe.schabi.org/FAQ/tutorials/install-add-fdroid-repo/

How to Create a Repo

https://www.f-droid.org/en/tutorials/create-repo/

1 Like

“Interesting” indeed. :slight_smile:

We are considering setting up our own F-Droid repository, and whether or not it would help depends on where the hiccups with the flagship F-Droid repository are (in other words, how likely we are to run into the same issues based on how much of their tooling we use).

That said, I’m expecting and hoping it to be an improvement over the current state of things, and I will be looking into it more closely in the coming weeks.

2 Likes

@bandali That is great news! Thanks for the response. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Bonjour, j’ai installé jami sur android 5.1.1 via FDROID (boycott googleplay, pas de compte et n’en n’ouvrirai pas) comment obtenir la version together 20201113 ?

FDROID fourni free as in freedom 20200810_01 ?..

pas de possibilité de mettre à jour a partir de jami sur le smarthone ?

Merci pour votre aide

How is the current state about your own repository?
F-Droid version is still not updated. It says that the most recent update was 5 months ago.

I still haven’t finished setting it up; but working on it is a priority for me over the coming weeks.

Actually, as of today, the Jami package in the official F-Droid repository has finally been updated to the latest release (version 20201222-01)! That said, even though Jami is up-to-date on F-Droid again and I’m hoping it will continue to receive updates as usual, I still plan on setting up our own repo in case we run into similar prolonged issues with building Jami on the official F-Droid build servers for their official repo.

Many thanks to the F-Droid developers for giving me access to one of their community build servers so I could try and debug the build failures of Jami there.

4 Likes

It finally got updated : https://f-droid.org/fr/packages/cx.ring/ :tada: :tada:

4 Likes

Merci aux developpeurs de FDROID et Ă  vous @bandali
Pouvons nous supprimer notre compte google, ouvert spécialement pour télécharger jami qui n’était pas sur FDROID ?
Ou est il préférable d’attendre un peu, que vous soyez en mesure de contrôler les mises à jour de jami sur FDROID.

1 Like

Hello,

I heard that there was a new major release of Jami called “Maloya”, and I am waiting for it on F-Droid. Does anyone know when to expect it there? Is there an issue with build on their build servers currently, or we just need to wait until it is Jami’s turn to be built? Is there some kind of schedule for building on their servers which I can check?

I am very anticipating the new release, because I hope that it includes a fix for the issue with crashes on call.

1 Like

Hello,

I’m not aware of any outstanding issues with the F-Droid package at the moment. There was a recent change in how the F-Droid package is updated, which caused a bit of confusion on our side for the release process. I’m hoping we will have a new android release tag added soon, which F-Droid should then automatically pick up and build over the coming days. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This seems to be a perpetual issue --and it complicates matters when people cannot access the Google Play store. I have listed some alternative repositories here that do not require registration, but the Play Store version does employ Google services and some people do not like that (aside from the fact that most Google services are blocked in China.) But there is a new open source protocol suite that can solve this problem by implementing automatic updates through the P2P network.

1 Like

P2P updates sound to me as something dangerous to the end-user. It would make it extremely hard to track down the supply chain of installed updates. F-Droid with their extensive build logs is an example of extremely transparent supply chain nearing the edge of what is practically possible in this field.

As I can see, the current latest Jami build in the official F-Droid repository is almost month old, which, IMO, is OK.

The developers of this “HolePunch” protocol suite have publicly claimed that they can deploy a messaging app which is more resistant to transport interference than any other app. However, their app still employs some variant of DHT, and others believe that the popular DHT implementations are vulnerable to Denial-of-Service attacks:

As also discussed in this comparison, both I2P and Tor have some open issues with their use of DHT technology prone to sybil attacks. GNUnet has designed its routing (core) and GNU Name System (GNS) in ways that are resistant to such attacks.

Both Tor and I2P can scale well in the number of one-to-one communications, but this only re-enforces the client/server paradigm which is threatening the privacy and thus the democratic civil rights of billions of human beings. Actual scalable, serverless, distributed social interaction requires a pubsub system over a distributed scalable multicast backbone, natively capable of spawning distribution trees somewhat like BitTorrent.

We leverage GNUnet’s sybil-attack resistant routing mechanism and its GNU Naming System (GNS) while combining it with PSYC’s distributed social graph.

Scalability is such a boring topic, it is usually left for last - and then it is too late, when millions of people want to use your software but you can’t fix it to make it scale.

…On the one side we have journalists in hostile jurisdictions who want to prevent leakage of metadata and location. On the other side we have people in various countries who just need the system to work when domains or Autonomous System Numbers are blocked (or the ISP default DNS servers are temporarily disabled because of some government edict.) On top of that is the application update problem and the choice of push service.

At the present time, neither Google or F-Droid accommodates the needs of all users in every possible circumstance. Is there any solution that addresses all of these issues?

F-Droid has not been updated for a long time. I don’t know why. Although the 375 version has no major problems, I still hope it can be updated as soon as possible

build 376 was released 3 days ago (as it appears in the F-droid app) … but the web site is not updated and it still says “375”. Just one more broken thing… :wink:

1 Like