How to use the new Troubleshoot screen?

The recent Eleutheria version of Jami has a new General > Troubleshoot screen whose content varies with time, listing users. How can we use it?

In particular, what is the Channels number? And on which criteria users show in this list?

It shows the list of connection for an account.

Users shown in connected are… Connected. You can see the local and peer address for the P2P connection, the number of channels opened on this socket and the name of the channels by hovering this number. Basically the more conversations you have with someone, the more channels.

Same, connecting users are shown as connecting (so one of you made a request for a connection but the negotiation is not done). And waiting for TLS is when connection is done but encrypting

1 Like

Thanks for the explanations. The list of contacts is very dynamic when Jami starts.

And I suppose that the list of git:/ lines are messages or files waiting to be pushed to or retrieved from peers?

In this example, my account (captuured in the screenshot) disappeared after a few minutes. How can it be interpreted? Does it mean that my PC was unable to connect to connect with my phone and synchronize the devices? Or does it mean that the PC was not able to push its messages to other peers because they are not connected presently?

Does the list of connections updates in real-time?

It’s channels for conversation. Which make sense, with your other device you will sync all your conversations.

List updates every second. And if it’s a mobile phone working with push, the connection is generally killed by the OS after a few seconds in background, so indeed the P2P socket will disappear but it doesn’t mean that your phone is unreachable (cause a push will wake up the device later).

To conclude my questions about how to use this new screen, a few more:

1. How is the list of contacts generated? I suppose it starts from the list of contacts on the device, and it keeps only those where a socket can be opened. How new entries can appear? Only when a conversation occurs?

2. From DHT Point Vert, I understand that the green dot in the contacts list is not reliable and is not an on-line status indicator. Shouldn’t we use the Troubleshoot contact list as a better on-line indicator?

3. A personal case. Presently, I have a PC and an Android phone running Jami on the LAN, but the phone does not appear. I had to switch to Jami on the phone to see it appear in the PC list, with other contacts. After a few seconds, my phone account disappeared from the list. Does it mean that the phone is no more visible from the PC? Perhaps answering question #1 about how contacts are added to the list will help me understand what I observe.

4. To help troubleshooting, shouldn’t you keep all contacts in the list with their status? Even if they are not connected, it will be clear to know what their status is. Coming back to example #4, my phone has an IP on the LAN, but presently I’m unable to known why it does not appear in the list and is not connected to the PC…

Thanks for all your explanations; they are really helpful.

1. I don’t understand what you want to know. The contact list is a list you modify by adding and removing contacts and synched across devices

2. A small change in this direction is in review for the green dot

3. On mobile generally the OS kill the app after a few seconds in background. But push notifications are here to wake up the device (if no push you need to allow the app to run in background). But presence will still be on the DHT.

4. This isn’t a contact list but a connection list. Logs are more detailed. Moreover You may be connected to a non contact (if you’re in a group, the members of this group are not in your contact list but you still need to exchange messages with them)

Perhaps I used the wrong term to describe the items listed in the Troubleshoot screen… :frowning: I used the name in the first column and perhaps I should have used devices instead to prevent the confusion.

My first question is how this list seeded?

Can we see devices/contacts external to the devices/contacts present in the contacts list or the conversations? Can a Jami node be used as a relay, like a tor relay, in establishing the P2P connection? I’m asking the question as my IDS on my LAN has blocked connections coming from Jami towards devices in countries where I don’t know contacts nor devices should be present. It could be invalid IP resolution but I’m wanting to understand the traffic on my LAN, while letting Jami work correctly.

1. and 4. In the scenario I describe, I was presently using Jami on the phone and watching the troubleshoot list on the PC, while the phone disappeared from the devices list. And even if the phone OS hard sleeps the Jami app, I’m not sure the OS would abort the TCP socket (I haven’t checked for the FIN_WAIT packets with tcpdump). Probably that I need to look into Jami logs for more details. I find that the Troubleshoot list is simpler to use to see real-time information and that it could be improved a bit to really help troubleshooting.

This only list P2P connection so it will be people in the conversations you have. Nobody outside a conversation will sync with you.

If you send a message other devices in the conv will serve as a relay but a message will never be transmitted, even encrypted to a non member

1 Like