I need an introduction to how Jami connects (i.e. turn, dht)

I am trying to use Jami to allow my desktop to notify me on my android phone. A python script writes into Jami and hits ‘send’. It should arrive at my phone, but it usually fails. If I start a conversation, it starts working both ways, but after I leave it for a while and it’s time for my desktop to notify me, it’s not working again. It’s rather like something has timed out, or gone to sleep. It’s ironic because it seems to be working when I don’t need it, but when I do need it, it fails!

I think I have failed to set up something about discovery, because I don’t understand it. After searching the forum I did turn on something to do with ‘local network discovery’ but that didn’t make it start working. Is there documentation, or a youtube video, or a wiki that describes the different ways Jami can connect? Perhaps if I studied one, I would realise what I was doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. Sometimes, if I send my desktop a message, I will get the last 30 ~ 40 notifications all in a row and my phone goes ballistic! It would be funny actually, except it isn’t really because I want the notification when it’s relevant.

Did you ever find out why you had this problem? I’ve noticed it too. Jami seems to go to sleep, no connection possible from anywhere, and yet the application is running fine. The only way to wake it up is to toggle the “enable account” off and on again.

I’ve looked around extensively, and switched off all things which might cause this, both hardware and OS.

I think this issue is already reported here:

Thank you for your feedback. This has led me to create a work-around in my Linux installations:

• Jami can be controlled from the command line so…
  • create a script which kills jami, waits some seconds, then restarts Jami, and…
  • create a cron job to run this every 20 minutes

20 minutes appears to be the optimum timing; much longer and Jami is more often offline, much less and Jami becomes awkward to use. This comes close (but not 100%) to keeping Jami online permanently. However, it isn’t a very convenient method.

I also created an “Issue” for the developers here, which they have already picked up on - good service!

In Account Settings there is an option:

“Enable account” - Could you explain what this option does?