Jami as IP Baby monitor?

Hi,

i want to use Jami on my old phone as a baby-monitor.
What would be the best approach?

i’m thinking

• auto pickup with video enabled (for known users only)
  • brighter video (in case there’s no Infrared light in the dark)
  • being able to put the speaker at the baby-side on/off.

Maybe such options are already (partly) available?

2 Likes

in a conference you can mute someone or not (moderator mute), so 3 should be ok.

For 2, I guess an infrared camera would be a better pick or something related to the hardware rather than software.

For one, you can technically disable calls for untrusted peers and add auto-answer (it should work, as the ICE will be rejected before any call option).

2 Likes

ok, so:

• auto pickup with video enabled (for known users only)
    • For one, you can technically disable calls for untrusted peers and add auto-answer (it should work, as the ICE will be rejected before any call option).
      • Ok, that would be great. (i’m not using ICE myself, only WIFI)
  • brighter video (in case there’s no Infrared light in the dark)
    • For 2, I guess an infrared camera would be a better pick or something related to the hardware rather than software.
      • Ok.
  • being able to put the speaker at the baby-side on/off.
    • in a conference you can mute someone or not (moderator mute), so 3 should be ok.
      • Actually, i meant to mute the “sound” at the baby side, so that if anyone calls the Baby-monitor, and the caller has his mic on, that the baby isn’t woken up unexpectedly by any noise

I setup a RaspberryPI 4B 2GB with Raspbian 64bit. Installed Jami using SNAP as per documentation.
Set it up as RendesVouz point. Receiving calls works.

But the camera of the rendesvouz node isn’t automatically selected/streamed.
Is there something i can do?

Auto answer instead doing a rdv point :wink:

Thanks. it works nicely.

My setup; I bought a cheap webcam, exchanged the white-leds for IR-leds, and removed the IR-filter-glass. Now have a nice baby-nightvision-cam with sound and smooth video, which i can call up any time :smiley: :+1:

1 Like