Jami without access to global internet

Hi everybody,

I’m interested in using Jami in situations when I’m in an isolated island of connectivity - I’m completed disconnected from the global internet. I have no backhaul to the greater internet. Specifically, these are rural / agricultural situations where I have a local mesh network connecting a handful of devices.

I just want direct peer-to-peer communications over a local network. I do not have any NAT between devices, but I also don’t have access to a bootstrap server unless I build one. I haven’t built one yet, and in fact it wouldn’t really make sense in my situation.

I had expected that checking the “Enable Local peer discovery” would be sufficient. However, when Jami tries to connect on a system running ubuntu os, it disconnects itself. I’ve looked at the logs, and it doesn’t offer a clear explanation.

I was hoping the systems would discover one another via multicast or something similar, but that doesn’t seem to be working.

My test setup is to connect two Jami-enabled devices, each with a different account, to the same Access Point (think consumer grade AP). Both devices connect to the local LAN. When the AP is plugged into the internet, Jami works fine. When the AP is disconnected from the internet, it doesn’t work.

Do you think I have misconfigured something? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

–Joe

A bootstrap is just any node running. It can be another Jami client (specify ip + port in config) or any dhtnode

The local peer discovery uses the same system as printers (broadcast packets) so if your network supports it, it should work. (it uses administratively scoped multicast address 239.192.0.1 (ffx8::/16 239.192.0.0/14))