Load screen has checkerboard pattern and unreadable (Linux)

Managed to install Jani in Linux (LXDE/ Lubuntu, I used the oldest version) and the screen looks like a checkerboard and is unreadable.



That’s very strange. What version of Lubuntu are you using? (so I could try to reproduce the issue)

Hi Thanks!

I’m using LDXE Get LXDE

Thanks. I tried with both Lubuntu 20.04.3 and Lubuntu 21.04, and was not able to reproduce the issue; the Jami window looked normal in both.

I wonder if this could be a graphics driver related issue? Have you seen similar artifacts with any other applications? (especially those based on the Qt framework, like Jami)

No, never had an issue like this before. Can’t say if I’ve used any other Qt framework software though, but if you can point me towards some I’ll try it and see if I get the same issue. If that’s the case, then it’s most likely my machine.

I see. As for other Qt applications, I believe many/most of Lubuntu’s default applications are Qt-based; such as its file manager PCManFM-Qt, its calculator KCalc, the included 2048-Qt game, etc. So perhaps you could try those.

For what it’s worth, I don’t recall encountering anything like this ever before. It might perhaps be helpful to launch Jami from a terminal and see if there are any useful Qt-related errors or warnings printed.

LDXE uses gcalculator says it’s GTK+ based, file manager is PCManFM uses LibFM, No Qt games.

Here’s a dump from running Jami from command line (only way I can launch it BTW)

:~$ jami
Testing for explicit PulseAudio choice...
Testing for ALSA permissions...
...defaulting to using PulseAudio.
/usr/share/libdrm/amdgpu.ids: No such file or directory
"notify server name: Notification Daemon, vendor: MATE, version: 1.16.1, spec: 1.1"
[1633373249.593|27827|ringbuffer.cpp    :55   ] Create new RingBuffer audiolayer_id
[1633373249.612|27827|video_device_monitor_impl.cpp:150  ] udev: adding device with id Generic_EasyCamera_200901010001
[1633373249.674|27827|video_device.h    :134  ] Default video settings: 640x480, 30 FPS
[1633373249.675|27827|manager.cpp       :727  ] Not initialized
[1633373249.676|27827|manager.cpp       :727  ] Not initialized
14:47:29.676         os_core_unix.c !pjlib 2.11 for POSIX initialized
[1633373249.677|27827|manager.cpp       :798  ] Using PJSIP version 2.11 for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
[1633373249.677|27827|manager.cpp       :799  ] Using GnuTLS version 3.7.1
[1633373249.677|27827|manager.cpp       :800  ] Using OpenDHT version 2.3.0
[1633373249.677|27827|manager.cpp       :801  ] Using FFmpeg version 4.4
[1633373249.677|27827|manager.cpp       :804  ] Using Libgit2 version 1.1.0
[1633373249.677|27827|sipvoiplink.cpp   :659  ] Using SIP nameserver:
[1633373249.677|27827|sipvoiplink.cpp   :659  ] Using SIP nameserver:
[1633373249.677|27827|sipvoiplink.cpp   :659  ] Using SIP nameserver:
[1633373249.678|27827|sipvoiplink.cpp   :753  ] SIPVoIPLink@0x55c28e99b900
[1633373249.679|27827|manager.cpp       :820  ] Configuration file path: /home/dave/snap/jami/213/.config/jami/dring.yml
[1633373249.682|27827|ringbuffer.cpp    :55   ] Create new RingBuffer urgentRingBuffer_id
[1633373249.688|27827|pulselayer.cpp    :141  ] Waiting....
[1633373249.690|28052|pulselayer.cpp    :141  ] Waiting....
[1633373249.691|28052|pulselayer.cpp    :141  ] Waiting....
[1633373249.693|28052|pulselayer.cpp    :145  ] Connection to PulseAudio server established
[1633373249.694|28052|pulselayer.cpp    :175  ] Updating PulseAudio sink list
[1633373249.694|28052|pulselayer.cpp    :192  ] Updating PulseAudio source list
[1633373249.694|28052|pulselayer.cpp    :209  ] Updating PulseAudio server infos
[1633373249.695|28052|pulselayer.cpp    :676  ] PulseAudio server info:
    Server name: pulseaudio
    Server version: 8.0
    Default Sink alsa_output.pci-0000_00_09.2.analog-stereo
    Default Source alsa_input.pci-0000_00_09.2.analog-stereo
    Default Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
    Default Channel Map: front-left,front-right

[1633373249.695|28052|audiolayer.cpp    :64   ] Hardware audio format available : {s16, 2 channels, 44100Hz} 0
[1633373249.695|28052|manager.cpp       :2872 ] Audio format changed: {s16, 1 channels, 16000Hz} -> {s16, 2 channels, 44100Hz}
Daemon is running
No accounts to migrate
Cannot find dbus interface for screen saver
QObject::connect(lrc::api::ContactModel, ContactAdapter): invalid nullptr parameter
Can't update current account info data for ""

(jami-qt:27827): libnm-WARNING **: 14:47:30.549: no object known for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/AccessPoint/595

NetworkManager client initialized, version:  1.2.6 , daemon running: yes , networking enabled: yes
primary network connection: 4f63cb90-b6ad-3bf8-9813-a41566230e35 default:  yes
NewAccountModel::getAccountInfo, can't find dummy ; Using default avatar
NewAccountModel::getAccountInfo, can't find dummy ; Using default avatar

Sorry, I had mistakenly downloaded newer versions of Lubuntu, which come with the LXQt desktop environment – which is Qt-based – rather than the GTK-based LXDE.

This time I tried with the older Lubuntu 18.04.5 which comes with LXDE. I tested both jami (Qt-based) and jami-gnome (GTK-based) and they both loaded up just fine. I also installed the three above applications that I’d mentioned, by running sudo apt install pcmanfm-qt kcalc 2048-qt, and they all loaded just fine.

Looking at the client logs you pasted, I don’t see anything relevant and/or hinting at the issue in them.

P.S. I edited your post to better format the snippet of logs you pasted.