On phones jami requires configurations in order to work?

This is a quote from a jami review on google play.
For people who complain about it not working or messages not being delivered instantly. 1. Disable DHT proxy 2. Disable push notification 3. Enable Jami to be run in back ground. 4. Visit your phone’s battery optimisation and make sure Jami is not optimised for battery - if not the phone will kill the app and when you reopen the app to send - nothing happens 5. Enable TURN 6. Disable STUN After doing all this - it will work like a charm unless you have some other network issues. There are bugs but the app is stable and does the job. For people complaining about images/files not being transferred - drag and drop doesn’t work - it is a known bug. So as a work around you can go to the file using file explorer on Android choose the file and share using Jami - this works.

I have not tested jami on either android or ios. If settings
as described above are required then jami.net
should display instructions. And there should be
a link on
https://jami.net/download-jami-android/
pointing towards the instructions. Same thing
about ios.
Thank you.

For mobile devices, specifically Android/Replicant phones, I think the points 3 and 4 could be helpful. However, note that the DHT proxy (which is enabled by default) can actually help improve message delivery (I’d seen some users in certain places weren’t able to connect to the OpenDHT network directly, but were able to do so via DHT proxy) as well as helping decrease the battery footprint on mobile devices. So, I would not recommend disabling the DHT proxy.

If things are indeed worsened with DHT proxy being enabled, it may be a bug, please report it on git.jami.net (see also our bug reporting guide).

1 Like

please report…

That is not how you should approach this matter. If getting
aware of jami, a number of people after installing jami on their phone and
jami does not work, they will take no further action. They will deem
jami broken and that is what they will tell other people. What people
want is a jami net website showing them, with pictures, every
step of installing and starting running jami. Then people can compare
what their phone looks like and the instructive pictures on jami net.
If people have followed the instructions from jami net and
jami does not work, then you can ask them to tell jami, that they
cannot get it to work.
Same about jami windows and jami macos.

Thanks, I understand. Improving the current state of the docs/tutorials around Jami is one of my goals.

That said, in the mean time, we would certainly appreciate bug reports if the default settings don’t work smoothly and/or as expected.

1 Like

Well, it’s - at least - debatable.
Certainly, it’s the way matters are approach in the Free Software community. Meaning: everybody tries to collaborate for the common good. For instance, reporting bugs, proposing solutions/patches, sharing the info, etc.
You can’t demand a service you’re not paying (or doing anything in return) for.
Solidarity must be the norm, I think.
Kind regards!

1 Like

Hello,
I’d like to confirm what lrrt is saying, My own “testing” also shows that the most reliable way of getting messages between devices (tested on 2 android phones (xiaomi, Huawei) with LineageOS) is to disable DHT (and yes that drains the battery more) and enable TURN.

DHT works sometimes but often completely fails - messages never delivered. I can’t say what effects it but for me it worked on home wi-fi and failed via mobile network. I tested this during a period of a week so I can exclude mobile network problems (Signal app was working fine at the same time).

It would be great if someone could take a look at it, because DHT is otherwise great for saving the battery.

Thanks for Jami and your support!