Psycho circus on Android!

1. prefix ring: and swarm: before the specified account number, what does it mean?

2. why do those contacts that were created earlier have ring: prefixes, and new users receive a swarm: prefix?

3. why can I clear the message history in the context menu for users with a ring: prefix but not for swarm:?

4. when creating a backup copy of the account and restoring, all these conditions are saved!
    Do I understand correctly that Jami uses two protocols, two communication lines, ring and swarm, and they do not overlap and have different functionality?

5. If I delete my account, will it really be deleted? Or is it stored somewhere? Why can’t I create a user with the same name after deleting the account?

6. For contacts with the prefix swarm: there is no chat auto-update, you have to stop the application, then clear the cache and then start again, only then the messages that were sent to me appear.

Huawei P Smart 2021 (Android 11)

ring: has traditionally been the prefix / uri scheme for Jami (formerly named Ring) accounts ids. I believe this is gradually being changed to jami: to match the application’s “new” name. The swarm: prefix corresponds to the newly-added Swarm conversations. @aberaud could further clarify and/or correct me if I’m mistaken.

Because to my knowledge clearing message histories has not been implemented for swarms yet – cc @sblin for updates about this.

See my above explanations. New conversations are by default created as swarms, which support the current (and future) features and improvements that swarms bring, compared to the old conversation format. See First Jami beta with Swarm support and https://git.jami.net/savoirfairelinux/jami-project/-/wikis/technical/2.3.-Swarm for more on swarms.

Yes, it will be fully deleted. The account information are all stored locally, including the account keys. As such, if you delete your account or uninstall the Jami app before backing up your account, it will be lost forever. Since the Jami nameserver handling username registrations does not store any private information like your account keys, if you lose your account keys we don’t have any means to verify your identity to be able to help you reclaim/restore username. It’s always a good idea to back up your account every now and then, especially if you registered a username that you would like to keep.

These are mentioned/explained in the FAQ pages:

This sounds like a bug to me. @aberaud do you know anything about this?

Please open a bug report about this at Issues · savoirfairelinux / jami-client-android · GitLab.

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed answer!
Everything is very clear.
I look forward to new opportunities.
:+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

This has never happened before, and here it is again…

1. I can’t change the profile name, only the name. This has worked before. (only f-droid)

Tests
huawei note P 2021 (Android 10),
Sony SGP521 (Android 4.4),
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (OS lineageos 18.1).

1. In the settings, clearing dialogs does not work! If you manually stop Jami, clear the cache, and then start it, all dialogs will be restored.
    Why then this function? Or is it only for ring? but it doesn’t work.

2. Does Jami use push?
    (I have push disabled on my smartphone.)
    what threatens me?

3. Stopping and starting Jami resets the “show link previews in conversations” settings (turns on automatically).

“”"""History can’t be deleted. To delete a conversation, the device has to leave the conversation and create another one.

However, non-permanent messages (like messages readable only for some minutes) can be sent via a special message via the DRT (like Typing or Read notifications).

Moreover editing messages will be possible! (commit --fixup)""""

Based on what I’ve read, I have a question.
1.How to leave a conversation and create a new one?

2.how to send a temporary message via DRT ?

3.how to edit messages?

Further…
“”""“Swarm massively changes file transfer. Now, all the history is syncing, allowing all devices in the conversation to easily retrieve old files. This changes allow us to move from a logic where the sender pushed the file on other devices, via trying to connect to their devices (This was bad because not really resistant to connections changes/failures and needed a manual retry) to a logic where the sender allow other devices to download. Moreover, any device having the file can be the host for other devices, allowing to retrieve files even if the sender is not there.”""""

4.how to limit downloads to other devices?

5.what needs to be done so that messages and files are lost forever? subject to 1:1 (ring:swarm and swarm:swarm)

can i install my Jami server on my host to use it for a closed group of people?
is there such a solution?

@bandali Could you help me sort out my thoughts?
Thank you

yes, you can install jami-daemon on a server.

Based on what I’ve read, I have a question.

This document is a design reference. Not all features are implemented yet.

1.How to leave a conversation and create a new one?
Just remove the conversation from your list and create a new one.

2.how to send a temporary message via DRT ?
DRT doesn’t exists yet, it’s for big groups which is not the case today,

3.how to edit messages?
For now this feature is not implemented

5.what needs to be done so that messages and files are lost forever?
Just delete from all devices storing the messages

1 Like