I just downloaded Jami, and after chatting for only half an hour, I stopped receiving messages from my contact, although they continued receiving messages from me. Default settings. We’re both using Android and only Android. I don’t know what to do about this or how to fix it if it needs fixing.
This is what i understand of it;
When closing Jami, and removing it from the Running Apps overview(which Android can also do automatically), then Jami is not able to communicate.
To overcome this,
(Huawei P8/Android 6)
go to Settings,
- Apps, Advanced, Ignore Optimizations, and there, allow Jami to ‘ignore optimizations’.
- Advanced settings, Battery Manager, Protected Apps, Jami, enable it as “protected app”.
(Samsung A71/Android 11)
go to Settings, Apps, Jami,
- Mobile Data, “allow data when data usage saving is on”(loosely translated)
- Battery , “allow background activity”
(Under Jami settings)
- allow ‘Run in background’
(Under Jami Account - multiple options which can be used separately)
- DHT-Proxy is useful when changing (mobile networks often), so that the DHT-Proxy is the stable ‘connection point’ to the DHT network, for others to see. (But negates the ‘decentralized’ aspect. unless you host your own ‘DHT-Proxy’
- TURN-server is useful when you’re behind a firewall. This however is a ‘fixed central server’ which acts as a man in the middle (as far as i know).
- UPnP is useful when your router/firewall has UPnP enabled. That way your App can communicate with the router/firewall what ports is should allow to pass through
ps. For a communication to succeed through firewalls, When using a TURN server, it is enough for one party to succeed to pass through the firewall.
What would cause the other person’s app to function normally without doing any of this?
i.m.o. most likely,
a powerful phone, which doesn’t stop non-focus apps. and thus jami keeps running
i’m actually not sure if UPnP or DHT-Proxy and TURN are enabled by default, so which one of these settings would make theirs work out of the box, i can’t tell…
Well again, both apps are on default settings, as both are freshly installed. Furthermore, this continued to occur without me closing the app. We tested texting each other back and forth with the app in focus, because it’s the only thing we were doing, and I received no messages, while they received all of mine.
Also UPnP, and TURN are enabled by default. Not sure about DHT
if you can reproduce, then could you fill in a bug report?
(please also find out if both of your firewalls can handle UPnP and have its support enabled.)
Or maybe, if you don’t have a GitLab account yourself, i can do it for you.
The bug report template is as below. Can you prepare the document?
It is quite difficult for developers to reproduce such scenario’s as yours, so please include as many details as you can. Maybe check some other filled issues to get a feeling of how many details should be included to aid the developers in reproducing.
(Next is the template)
How to report a bug ------------------- ## One bug = one bug report If you have multiple issues, please file separate bug reports. It will be much easier to track bugs that way. ## Avoid duplicates Search for similar problem - update existing issue instead of creating new one. Bug report form --------------- ## Describe your environment Please specify the following: - Ring version: - Device model: - Android version: - What build you are using: [jami.net | F-droid | Play Store | App store | your own (please specify commit id + ring daemon version or commit id)...] ## Steps to reproduce - Can you reproduce the bug: [at will | occasionally | not at all] - Steps: 1. 2. ... - Actual result: - Expected result: ## Additional information