Support request: calls not possible

Hi, me and my friend have been using Jami for a few months with some problems, like echos and calls dropping in the middle of the conversation. But in the last few weeks I can´t call him or receive his call. I can see him calling, but there is no sound, and when I click on the green “answer” sign, the call drops. Same happens to my friend when I try to call him. We both use Windows, and we both have same versions of Jami. Also, the messages that we have sent show up in wrong order or don´t show up at all, although we are both online.

How can we know if it´s up to:

• our internet providers
  • our routers and home internet (both in EU)
  • our own computers (both Windowse, 8.1&10)
  • or something on Jami´s side?

Perhaps you could help us? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi there,

Thank you for using Jami. Would you please share which exact version of Jami you are running? Do you have a recipe to reliably reproduce the issue(s)? Any logs from the Jami daemon and/or error backtraces from crashes would also be helpful.

Thanks.

Hi thank you!

We both use the following version: 202011191640.

You have asked if we have a recipe to reliably reproduce the issue(s) or any logs from the Jami daemon and/or error backtraces from crashes. => What does this actually mean/where can I find these?

Hi,

Cheers, and thank you :slight_smile:. I will mention this to the team to see if anyone has any ideas.

As for what I said earlier about logs, please see the bottom of this page for details on how to start Jami in a way that would display logs/details about what it’s doing: https://git.jami.net/savoirfairelinux/ring-project/wikis/tutorials/Bug-report-guide

Edit: moving the thread to the support category.

Just some questions,

Since you mentioned that there is no sound,
can you check if in this path: %yourInstallation%\Savoir-Faire Linux\Jami\ringtones
whether the default.opus works or not?

And currently, when you can your friend, what kind of flow do you get?
(like your actions and how UI responds)

Finally, as @bandali suggested, any log would be helpful

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello there,

i experienced exactly the same problem/misbehavior this day. My wife uses an up-to-date android client (F-Droid), i use an up-to-date Linux Client (Linux Mint Client from jami.net website) and the last days we could call each other without any problems, worked fine. But today, same setup, same internet-setup, same users, same everything, it behaves like the threadopener Lucija said, the call drops after clicking on the green “accept call” Button. Tried several things, rebooting, calling each other from the other side, but it does not work (anymore). I will check it this evening again and the coming days, i have no idea what could cause this.

It’s three years later, but was there an outcome out of this bug-report? If yes, please let me know :slight_smile: Thanks in advance…

EDIT/UPDATE:
I found out, that the problem - in my case - results from following situation:

Call between the android smartphone (with the account of my wife) to my Linux Mint Notebook (with my account on it).

Days before, I temporarily linked my account also to this android smartphone of my wife (for testing purposes) and later set it to inactive. Everything works fine, except of the phone-(and video-)calls. Then i asked my wife to delete my account from the android device and we tried it again. Same result, call drops after clicking on “accept call”. Then i tried to remove the “linked Account” (the Android smartphone) from the Linux Mint Notebook, enter the Password etc.
BUT: that does not work. i can’t remove this linked device, i click on “remove”, but it does nothing. You just can click cancel.
So the next idea was to create a new account on the Linux Mint Notebook and call my wife with it, and that was working fine “out of the box”. No problems.
So the problem is related to the linked device which I cannot remove anymore otherwise there is an other way to do it (?).

I know, it’s a special use case, but eventually this information helps in developing this jami software, which i really like and hope that i can reach and show more people.

maybe this output helps someone (start jami, click on the gear symbol, click on “linked devices”, select android device, type in password and click “remove”:

default	[1707841903495][WRN]: qrc:/settingsview/components/ManageAccountPage.qml:39:23: QML ColumnLayout: Layout polish loop detected for QQuickColumnLayout(0x563dd40aab10, parent=0x563dd409df10, geometry=40,0 420x1003). Aborting after two iterations.
default	[1707841917540][WRN]: QSGPlainTexture: Mipmap settings changed without having image data available. Call setImage() again or enable m_retain_image. Falling back to previous mipmap filtering mode.
[1707841932.167|17705|jamiaccount.cpp         :1875] [Account e1a887bcf5a12345] Dht status: IPv4 connected; IPv6 disconnected
default	[1707841932430][WRN]: QSGPlainTexture: Mipmap settings changed without having image data available. Call setImage() again or enable m_retain_image. Falling back to previous mipmap filtering mode.
[1707841932.867|17705|jamiaccount.cpp         :1875] [Account e1a887bcf5a12345] Dht status: IPv4 connected; IPv6 connecting
default	[1707841941897][WRN]: qrc:/settingsview/components/RevokeDevicePasswordDialog.qml:39: ReferenceError: passwordEdit is not defined

1 Like

Thx, I did a patch for the revocation: https://review.jami.net/c/jami-client-qt/+/27619

1 Like