Cannot remove known devices

Hi, years ago when Jami was called Ring I created an account on my old Android phone and one on my old Android tablet and communication was working although being a little buggy at that time.

Recently I decided to try Jami on my Raspberry Pi 4 with Arch Linux ARM and LXDE desktop. I installed the jami-gnome package with all its dependencies. I decided to use the phone account also on the Pi by linking it using the PIN method. And lo and behold: it worked.

Strangly enough on my Android phone I donā€™t see any linked device (shouldnā€™t there be the Pi?). On the Pi however I see 2 linked devices each represented by an 8 digit alphanummerical number with the long ID number underneath. One has a ā€˜settingsā€™ wheel sign on the right which allows me to edit the name. The other has a ā€˜one way do not enterā€™ sign on the right which shows ā€œRevoke deviceā€ on hover.

Both numbers and IDā€™s do not ring a bell with me, both IDā€™s are not the IDā€™s from my phone or tablet account. If I remove the second device (ā€œRevoke deviceā€) it disappears from the list but after a couple of seconds it appears back again! Iā€™m wondering what these devices are and how to get rid of them.

This morning after a fresh start (power up) of the Raspberry Pi I looked again in the account and the second device seems gone now (yesterday it kept coming back). Is this normal behaviour?

That still leaves me with the first known device with the ā€˜settingsā€™ wheel beside it. Could this be the actual Raspberry Pi device? If so I do not understand the ID. Let me try to make it more clear by showing the account settings:

PHONE (Android)
Registered username: johndoe (not the real name, just example)
Identity : long string ending with 8200
This device : PC16

PC (Arch Linux ARM, LXDE, jami-gnome)
Username : johndoe (linked from PHONE)
ID : long string ending with 8200 (same as johndoe on PHONE)
Known devices linked to this Jami account:
4fe4fffb
long string ending with 58fb

So what is this linked device on the PC? I cannot place the ID.

Hi @foobar, yes, the first device with the settings gear is your own device, the Raspberry Pi.

The 8-digit alphanumeric number is supposed to be a hostname (I think).
I know at least one other person had this problem.

The ID below the ā€˜hostnameā€™ is not your public key, itā€™s the device certificate (or maybe the fingerprint of the device certificate).

Hi @wrycode, thanks for the detailed reply. However this means that with the jami-gnome package thereā€™s an error in the Account page layout. The device with the settings gear is listed under ā€œKnown devices linked to this Jami accountā€ where it should be under ā€œThis deviceā€ like on the Android version. But the Account page doesnā€™t have a ā€œThis deviceā€ section. Thatā€™s confusing, at least to me.

Iā€™m still wondering where this 8-digit number comes from. Itā€™s definitely neither the Piā€™s serial ID (/proc/cpuinfo) nor is it the hostname (/etc/hostname). Since Iā€™m an Arch Linux user Iā€™d like to know whatā€™s under the hood so maybe there are other Raspberry Pi users who can share a light on this.

Yep, the 8-digit number is just the ā€œdevice nameā€ . It defaults to the hostname for me (e.g. ā€œwrycodeā€ or ā€œiPhoneā€) but I can rename it from jami-gnome or jami-qt with the pen icon. I donā€™t know if renaming it is implemented in the Android app.

I agree that that having a ā€œThis deviceā€ section might be easier for new users than listing the devices all together.

Indeed, in jami-gnome thereā€™s only one device section, ā€œKnown devices linked to this Jami accountā€. However, I just implemented (5d8c5099) a ā€œThis deviceā€ label that will be shown above the name of the current device in the device list. This will be available in the next release, and will hopefully more clearly indicate the current device. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @bandali, Iā€™ll be happy to test the next release, thanks.

1 Like