Tor/I2P/Loki Network Option

Please consider adding an option to use Loki, I2P or Tor network in Jami. This should be optional and can be enabled or disabled in the setting and by adding such a feature this will allow all Jami users regardless if they use a VPN or not to have their conversations and calls not be tracked. I like Jami P2P system which allows you to connect between each other devices but some will not like this for privacy reasons and I think an optional network like Tor, Loki or I2P would solve this.

1 Like

Doesn’t a VPN resolves this problem (privacy).
eg. if you use proton vpn with the kill switch as permanent and core on, you will never reveal you actual IP.

There have been already feature requests:

https://git.jami.net/savoirfairelinux/jami-project/-/wikis/technical/4.3.-Features-requests

Example: Make Jami work well with TOR (#622) · Issues · savoirfairelinux / jami-project · GitLab

Session Messenger for example will allow calls using Lokinet:

Unlike other onion routing protocols (read: onion requests), Lokinet can onion-route any IP-based protocol, including TCP, ICMP, and (importantly) UDP. UDP is a fast and efficient connectionless protocol which is perfect for applications like calls. Using a custom streaming protocol like WebRTC (which carries UDP packets), real-time voice and video calls are possible even while onion-routing all of the traffic

Interesting facts:

An onion-routed voice call via Lokinet has less latency than a regular telephone call from Melbourne to Boston. It’s only with a supercharged onion router like Lokinet that voice calls on Session are possible — it’s so cutting edge we had to develop it ourselves.

I wrote a long reply and cannot post it !!!

Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 7.07.49 PM

Then post multiple replies.

Done… but the issue persists.

Cwtch messenger has implemented this feature. The app is based on Ricochet, which uses TOR. Ricochet was abandoned, then forked as “Ricochet Refresh” but only supports desktop platforms while Cwtch adds support for mobile devices. But iOS version is not released yet, and Jami seems to have better support for push servers (which may reduce energy usage on mobile devices.)

TOR relays might increase lag on video conferences, and may produce unacceptable glitches on VOIP calls. It would be helpful if some people could try running Jami on various privacy networks to see how stable the channel is, and how much lag is produced. But for text messaging, I think there should be no problem. You also might find these Android apps useful:

The Keet app is interesting because it alerts the user when a VPN / proxy or anonymous network might interfere with transmission.

If your adversary can monitor all entry/exit points then a “single hop” VPN would not always solve the problem:

“mobile communications can be intercepted and web-page visits can be monitored using a complex algorithm that internet providers will be forced to install…”

If you really want to be anonymous you should try out SimpleX Chat:

An onion-routed voice call via Lokinet has less latency than a regular telephone call from Melbourne to Boston.

Probably because all of the supernodes are operated by the developers of Lokinet and no one is using the network for anything else but their “Session” app. :wink:

(Also note that Session has dropped support for PFS – but Lokinet could possibly be useful in other applications.) The Waku, Wesh, Vuvuzela and Yggdrasil networks are interesting too. SecuShare has many good articles about protocol design theory. SimpleX is a good idea but there is no desktop client yet.

Use of Ethereal ENS name compromises privacy:

No messenger is 100% decentralized yet
9. Decentralised messengers, video calls and social networks

https://www.onioncat.org/2019/08/onioncat-security-considerations/

https://secushare.org/broken-internet

“The presence of an effective P2P protocol and reliable integrated solution on top of the existing Internet infrastructure is the only solution to all of the identified problems with standard Unicast technologies!”

1 Like

SimpleX already has a (beta-)desktop client and it will become available for Windows soon:

1 Like

@trymeout

simplex: "We do plan light-weight 2-hop onion routing as part of the protocol/network design, that would provide sender transport anonymity without noticeable latency costs…”

https://www.reddit.com/r/SimpleXChat/comments/14r0x3o/is_yhis_chat_app_the_most_secure_one/jqteryi/